Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Artistically Blessed









My last week before I return to work and I have been artistically blessed. I look at my life and am always humbled and in awe at all the amazing people that have blessed and continue to bless my path. I am thankful everyday for all these blessings that the Creator has bestowed upon my life.

My week in a quick overview:

Sunday: At a house party in East LA until 4am in an amazing Spanish architectural building that has been in existence since 1919. The worker at the counter tells me that the next block over they have 20 different types of mole dishes and across the street, they make home made tortillas. After living in the LA area my entire life, there is still so many new things and new neighborhoods to explore and discover. For lunch, Emiko and I eat at Urth Cafe in the Artist District of Downtown Los Angeles, and explore a non-profit organization that does acting classes for the community and loans out it's space for parties. My evening is spent in Inglewood with Jason Ulysses, one of the best freestyle dancers in LA from SWAT team. We spend about 2 hours in his studio talking about dance, spirituality, and what happens when the two become one.

Monday: I spend my first half of the day volunteering for About Productions, my friends' theater company that does shows/plays based on stories within LA. She introduces me to "In the Heights", the Latino based Broadway musical about the Puerto Rican community in Washington Heights. We find out it's premiering in LA next summer, gotta go see it! My evening is spent with Rocio, an intern for Mochilla, and she introduces me to: Mayer Hawthorne, Bob Power, and Jay Electronica. What?! Why have I been sleeping on these individuals? And Peanut Butter Wolf's "999 tour", then suggests I start a private small group yoga class on Sundays at sunset. Inspired and amazed beyond belief.

Tuesday: After running away from the Altadena fire, I run at the beach where the air is cleaner. In the evening, I hang out in Little Tokyo with my Japanese friends who work in the fashion industry. We talk about fashion, being young female adults, and making things happen =).

Wednesday: After Japanese class with Emiko, I spent two hours visiting my friend Nickki and talking to her boyfriend, Jeckle, one of the O.G. Pop/lockers from LA, about the original pop-locking history within LA. Wow, was that a history lesson. Who is who, where they ended up, who become known, and who got left behind. From boogaloo to zulu to michael jackson to rock steady to the LA pop lockin' scene. I was schooled on some history and opened doors for some future opportunities. When the time is right, I'm in.

Thursday: Today, I finish off my volunteering at About Productions and spend the evening enjoying live music on Santa Monica pier, the last one of the summer, FOR FREE!

Friday: A road trip to Ojai and Santa Barbara to check out the camping sites and natural hot springs for my bday at the end of the month. May end the night taking a free samba class from one of the best samba teachers in LA.

Saturday: BBQ with the family in the day, maybe Juju at night?

What more could I ask for? Enjoy the videos above as I have. I love LA! I am artistically blessed.