Today was my last day at Gardena HS. There were a mixture of feelings brewing inside of me: frustration, disappointment, embarrassment and sadness. It's funny how we don't realize the value of our work or our impact on others until our departure. One of my students cried today when she realized that I was leaving. I was reciprocated with a lot of "why", disappointment, anger, sadness, frustration, and shock from the staff, the students, and the administration. It was a difficult day but I found purpose in my job. I found passion, compassion, and acceptance. Most importantly, I found value and support. In a school that is undergoing so many changes and is at a critical point; in a district that's downsizing in half, in a country who's economy is breaking down into pieces, it is important to recognize that there is still genuine love that permeates in the air. In a population of students that go thru a lot, when one student is crying from my departure, it is a humbling reminder that I made a difference in someone's life. I made a connection.
I made many connections at Gardena HS. I had a vision. I was making strides, but nevertheless, I was able to humbly witness the fruits of my labor and the value of establishing connection. I will truly miss the relationships I built at Gardena HS and the people that made my job meaningful.