Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Welcome to Canada!

Tonight is my first night in Canada. My first flight from Burbank ran behind schedule so when I arrived in San Francisco, I had to run and transfer to my next flight. Thank god I've been running and am in good condition. I made it to my transfer just in time for take off.

So I met my Canadian cousins for the first time. I thought that they lived in Toronto but actually they live in a nice town an hour away from the city called Brampton. I'm going to have to rent a car in a couple days so I can navigate around Toronto by myself.

Tonight was a great first night. My cousins are VERY Filipino and I felt right at home. Dinner was good, with some good Filipino home cooking and I immediately bonded with my family. I have two younger cousins, Christian, who is 14 and Yvette who is 12. They are half-Portuguese. My cousin, Anghod, married a Portuguese guy, Tony. Christian and Yvette both play basketball and Yvette is VERY into Japan. She wants me to teach her Japanese. She loves anime and she said she wants a Japanese boyfriend and eventually wants to move to Kyoto someday. We already have a lot in common =).

Tomorrow we will be going to the CN tower in Toronto which is known for it's famous view and 360 degree rotating restaurant. There will be a thunderstorm though so there is not much we can do. On Monday, we will be going to check out Niagara Falls and the butterfly conservatory that SANO recommended. Tomorrow night I will also check out a famous dance studio in Toronto that Emiko recommended, Street Dance Academy. I plan on taking their "Advanced House Dance" class and who knows maybe some more classes while I'm here. You know me, can't stay away from dance no matter where I go.

I saw pictures tonight of more of my cousins in NY and Canada whom I have never met but will hopefully meet someday. I plan on taking lots of pictures while I'm here and will update my journal when I return to LA. Tomorrow, I get to meet my 19 year old cousin, Kevin, who is really into hip hop dance and he has his own crew here in Canada. He's actually coming with me to my house class tomorrow and he even wants me to take his hip hop dance class taught by his crew on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to building with my Canadian family while I'm out here. It's gonna be a great experience!

Anghod already told me that my dad's side of the family is really known for their dancing and their singing. It was a great discovery for me to learn that and now it makes sense that it runs in my blood. I think I'm gonna really have a great time out here and can't wait to update my blog with pictures and my Canadian adventures. To be continued when I return to LA...=)